Wednesday, March 12, 2014

DESTINATION: AFRICA! LaTasha Jones visits Ethiopia



In global news, First-Year Counselor and graduate student Latasha Jones visited Ethiopia in January.  Here she is in her colorful garb in Addis Ababa, the capital. 

Tasha recounts her extraordinary experience:

This past January, I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Africa.  I spent ten amazing days in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Thanks to the Office of Admission and the Office of International Programs here at UNC Wilmington, I was able to visit three international schools to recruit future Seahawks: the International Community School, British International School, and Sandford School.  Between the three schools, I was able to speak to more than 60 students.

Thanks to the Graduate School and the History Department, I conducted research on my thesis (Ethiopianism and Pan-Africanism) at Addis Ababa University.  Between interviewing professors and conducting research at the Institute of Ethiopian Studies, I completed close to 20 hours of research.

Outside of recruiting for UNCW and researching for my thesis, I was able to see many of the historic sites and interact with the people of Addis Ababa. They were wonderful, and the food was incredible. I was even able to partake in an authentic Ethiopian coffee ceremony.

I felt as if Addis Ababa was my second home and I cannot wait for the opportunity to go back!



Tasha participating in a traditional
 Ethiopian coffee ceremony

British International School
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Ethiopian weaver
Institute of Ethiopian Studies
at Addis Ababa University





                           







No comments:

Post a Comment