Friday, February 28, 2014

"You stayin' in or gettin' out?"






          
That question that hangs over your head when you reach the last year of your enlistment. The thought of getting out of this comfort zone is quite overwhelming. Your thoughts are filled with questions like “Where will I go?” “What will I do?” “Where will I work?”

I went through the same thought process as I approached my last year in the Marine Corps. Although, I was completely overwhelmed at the thought of taking on the civilian world by myself, eventually, I was certain that it was what I wanted to do. So by the end of 2012, I had my things packed and I was on my way to the states! I could not wait to finally be on the other side of the fence!!



I transferred to UNCW in the fall of 2013. Was I worried about getting accepted? Yes!! Was I worried about the application process? Yes!! Was I worried that I would not look good on paper because I didn’t have much previous college experience? You bet! I worried about every aspect “Who would help me?” “I don’t remember how to turn on the GI Bill!!”  “I haven’t done this in a long time!”  

I will tell you, almost all of your biggest worries will disappear.  In one way or another everything falls into place as you settle down. The Transfer Admissions Team at UNCW helped me every step of the way, with every question I may have had. You’ll be in good hands.  

- Patty Martinez, USMC
Office of Admissions VA Work Study




No comments:

Post a Comment