Thursday, November 14, 2013

Transitioning as a Transfer Student




As a very recently transferred student, I find myself in the unique position of knowing the ins-and-outs of UNCW, but also acutely remembering what it was like to have no idea what I was doing. Being at a new university is hard, especially when you’re coming in as an upper level student. You have to relearn everything from the campus’ layout to how to sign up to classes, while at the same time you’re taking high level courses that require most of your attention. On top of all that, you’re probably moving here from another city like I did, or maybe you’re moving out on your own for the first time. It can all make for one incredibly stressful first semester. But fear not! I have some sage advice on how to handle it: you are not alone. There are other transfer students who are going through the exact same thing all around you.

Almost immediately when this semester began, I noticed that there were several students who seemed to be in almost every class I had. This was a little strange since my schedule was pretty crazy to account for several gateway courses I had to take to get into my major. I approached them and found that we were all brand new transfer students with the same major. We’ve spent all semester in class together, working together on a number of group projects, helping each other learn how to use UNCW’s systems, and even hanging out outside of school. I can’t tell you how invaluable its been having this group of ready-made friends. What I was worried would be a stressful beginning, turned into an amazing start to my time here at UNCW.





No comments:

Post a Comment